A router is arguably the most potential and versatile power tool that one should collect. For its multi-faceted attributes, it’s the prime choice of the woodworker’s. With this single tool you can polish the decorative edges, carve different designs and even cut wide ranges of woodworking joints. But, for you the best wood router is the one that suits with your job. Wood routers usually come up with different attributes; but if your selective wood router fails to serve the purpose, everything can turn into vain. So, special care should take while selecting wood routers for your collection.
What is wood router bit?
A bit is the key to a router. Without a bit, a router is nothing more than a spinning motor. All the cutting and grooving is done by a router is actually the work of a router bit. Generally, bits come with different shapes and designs.
The part of the bit that is inserted into the router is known as the shank. Router bits, usually, come in two different sizes- 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch. For increasing rigidity and smoother cut, the larger size is preferable. Larger bits demand larger shank and the smaller one need smaller shank.
Router bits are usually made of either high-speed steel(HSS) or carbide. The later bits are more expensive than the former one, as they last long and provide smoother cuts than the steel ones.
Types of router bits
Router bits are the most supporting friends of a carpenter in the workshop. For producing the desired design on the wooden platform the router bits are the only solution. Usually, three types of router bits can be seen.
- Fluted Cutter (Edging and trimming): This one is used for simple cuts to produce comparatively simple and straight cuts.
- Profile Cutter (Trimming and shaping): To produce complicated edging profile cutter is compulsory.
- Helical Cutter ( Trimming, shaping and drilling): This multi purposed cutter is generally used with plunge routers for better result.
Top seven router bits that you should have
- Straight bits: If you want to have a single bit for your wood router to make it the most versatile tool of your workshop, then the straight bit is the one that you are looking for. To cut the straight grooves with square bottom in any type of wood, straight bits is the perfect tool. They usually come with different diameters and length. This bit is not only used to cut the grooves or rabbets but to make mortise.
- Dovetail bits: According to wood router reviews this is the most famous router bits among the carpenters. Though the name emphasizes on the making of dovetail but the bit does more than that. This bit also comes with different dimensions and length.
- Round over bits: This bit is part of the edge-forming family. Round over bits are used to create smooth and curved edges of the wooden table or cabinet. Three widely used sizes are 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch.
- Rabbeting bits: To cut squared notches, rabbeting bits are the perfect tool. These bits are perfect for joinery application, such as cutting a slot in cabinet back
- Slot cutting bits: These bits are perfect for cutting narrow grooves. This bit has 2-3 wings with a sharp tungsten- carbide tooth on the top. This bit is also available in different diameters and length, but the most useful one is 1/2 inch depth and 1/4 wide.
- V-shaped bits: As the name suggests, the v-shaped router bits are designed to make v-shaped grooves. Theses bits are perfect for making signs as they provide excellent definition and shadows to letters and text.
- Flush trim bits: These bits are perfect for trimming the edges, whether you are working on the plastic or wooden platform. this bit is particularly useful for trimming the hanging surfaces. Though several sizes are available in the market, but the most useful size is 1/2 inch diameter with 1 inch long cutting flute.
Here, we have focused on the most popular and useful router bits without which your router can turn out to be an unnecessary part of your workshop. Though thousands are available, but these selective collections of router bits will surely turn your newly bought router as the best wood router that one could ever have.